Recipe by Smilyn
Recipe from Rachael Ray's Express Lane Meals. So I took out all of her goofy language since it's a bit annoying to me. Her cooking, though, is great! Leave comments to let me know if you added or took out anything. This dish seems very versatile... convert to vegetarian or add sausage.
Top Review by Dr. Carrie
Easy to make and makes a LOT of food. I followed the recipe pretty exactly except that the crushed tomatoes I used seemed a bit more "diced" and less smushed, and I added some mozzarella cheese. Very tasty but it seemed to be missing a little something. Maybe next time I'll add more red pepper flakes and more worcestershire sauce. I wasn't blown away by the wine I used either, will try a different kind next time. I love Rachael Ray - Yumm-O! ;)
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 1 lb corkscrew macaroni (curly short)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil (appx. 10 leaves)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
- Salt the water and cook pasta al dente.
- Save a ladle of the starchy pasta water to form the sauce.
- Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil, then add meat.
- Brown meat and then add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Season with salt, pepper, Worcestershire and allspice.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, then deglaze the meat mix with red wine.
- Cook off for 1 minute and then stir the stock into the meat.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring it to a bubble.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the ricotta cheese in the bottom of a shallow bowl.
- Add a ladleful of boiling, starchy pasta water to the ricotta and stir to combine them.
- Add the parmesan cheese to the ricotta and mix it in .
- Toss the hot pasta with cheese mix.
- Add half of the meat sauce to the pasta mix.
- Toss to combine.
- Tear or shred basil and add it to the meat and pasta.
- Add rest of meat sauce and toss to combine everything.
- Serve with more parmesan cheese.