Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a super quick shortcut version of Rouladen. My family loves it! I never do a good job of rolling round steak, so this one starts with deli roast beef. The inside has ground beef (make your prep even quicker if you keep All Purpose Ground Meat Mix in your freezer)to give a similar flavor to the original. If you want, roll the raw meat into the deli roast beef, but it must simmer for 1 hour to ensure it is cooked all the way through. I prefer to precook my ground beef. We don't use pickles in ours, but feel free to add pickles to make it more like the real thing. Also feel free to add tomato paste to the sauce if you choose. We prefer the all beef sauce. Great over rice or potatoes.
- 12 slices deli roast beef
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) jar beef gravy
- In a large skillet, brown beef and onions. Add mushrooms and garlic salt.
- Drain off fat.
- Spread dijon mustard lightly and evenly over deli roast beef.
- Evenly divide ground beef mixture among deli roast beef slices.
- Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Bring gravy to a boil in skillet; reduce heat.
- Place rolls in the gravy in the skillet.
- Simmer 20 minutes.