Recipe by Cookworm
My husband being from Quebec, loves tourtiere. I learned to make it from a traditional recipe and eventually added my own throw ins. He loves it.
Top Review by Alison J.
This was pretty darn tasty. I omitted the veal and substituted ground turkey, but other than that kept pretty close to the recipe as posted. Pastry is not my strong suit, so it looked a little funny, but I made do!! ;) Made for PAC 08
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground veal
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, cubed with skin
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 dashes pepper
- 6 cups beef bouillon
- 1 dash cumin, make it a big dash for fun
- 3 tablespoons red wine (have a glass while you cook)
- 1 teaspoon bovril powder (concentrated beef bouillon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 pastry for double-crust pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crumble and brown meats in large stock pot on stove over medium heat.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients except pie dough of course, and simmer three hours, adding water or wine to keep moist as necessary.
- Arrange pie crusts in pie pans.
- Pour filling into crusts. Cover with pie tops and vent.
- Bake in oven for 40-60 minutes.