Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a meal very popular back home with my family and its also one that I make while at school. The cost for this meal can range about 10-15 bucks depending on where you get the ingredients and what you have. When I make this since I am alone I often get the chicken tenders and freeze the leftovers, which also taste very good!
- 1 (12 ounce) jar salsa (your favorite kind)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (or 8 Boneless Chicken Tenders)
- 2 1⁄3 cups instant rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1⁄2 bell pepper (or 1cup of pepper onion mix)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheese (Optional * I like sharp cheddar but Velveeta has been used also) (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In baking dish add chicken ,onion/pepper mixture and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add water to dish and bake until chicken is cooked.
- Once chicken is done add the instant rice and mix with the chicken broth that has formed.
- Also add the salsa at this time and be sure to mix throughly. Mixture should be a little soupy, if not add hot water to salsa jar and pour over dish.
- Return dish to oven and cook until rice is tender.
- Once rice the rice is done top dish with cheese and serve with a dash of hot sauce or sour cream.
- ( This could also be made on the stove top by simmering the chicken in water bell pepper and onions, adding salsa and serving over rice ).