Recipe by marypage
I originally set out the make a white chicken chili and somehow was not satisfied. By adding chili powder and several other ingredients my white chicken chili was no longer white. The chicken in the recipe can be done several ways. Have leftover chicken use it here. You can brown your chicken or poach it. Another option is to under baked bone in, skin on chicken breasts, cool and shred and add to recipe. You have lots of options here.
Top Review by STARTERWIFE
mary ,this recipe is a 5 star without chicken,it is a good recipe,i can see using clams,fish,meatballs,this is just a darn good recipe,thanks dear for posting,i made it like you said,i used left over chicken ,it was scrumptious,only thing i added was a diced jalapeno ,( a little hottt added to the green chili-but thats cause i dont aat much soup withoutlots of heat .
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, diced (1 large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (or black)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons dried instant dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with a little
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown cut up bacon pieces until crisp. Remove from pan, set aside and reserve bacon drippings.
- In another pan put 2 cups of chicken broth, bay leaf and chicken breasts and poach for 10-15 minutes. Undercook, since you will be simmering chicken again in a later step. Let chicken cool in broth. Reserve poaching liquid. When cooled either shred or cube chicken.
- Saute onion and garlic in bacon drippings until translucent. Add spices (cumin, chili powder, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper). Cook a minute more.
- Now add reserved broth plus 2 more cups of broth, drained beans, undrained beans and undrained green chilis. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add dried instant milk powder and mix; simmer a few minutes more.
- If you want a thicker chili add cornstarch mixed with water and cook til thickened. Serve. Top with crisped bacon pieces.
- NOTE: You do not have to poach chicken. You could use leftover chicken. Another possibility is to brown cubed chicken breast in bacon drippings and continue leaving out the poaching part and go to sauteeing onion and garlic and add 4 cups of broth as noted above.
- Other garnishes/condiments/sides: tortillas, tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, diced red/green peppers.