I originally set out the make a white chicken chili and somehow was not satisfied. By adding chili powder and several other ingredients my white chicken chili was no longer white. The chicken in the recipe can be done several ways. Have leftover chicken use it here. You can brown your chicken or poach it. Another option is to under baked bone in, skin on chicken breasts, cool and shred and add to recipe. You have lots of options here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, diced (1 large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (or black)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons dried instant dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with a little
- 1Brown cut up bacon pieces until crisp. Remove from pan, set aside and reserve bacon drippings.
- 2In another pan put 2 cups of chicken broth, bay leaf and chicken breasts and poach for 10-15 minutes. Undercook, since you will be simmering chicken again in a later step. Let chicken cool in broth. Reserve poaching liquid. When cooled either shred or cube chicken.
- 3Saute onion and garlic in bacon drippings until translucent. Add spices (cumin, chili powder, thyme, cayenne, salt and pepper). Cook a minute more.
- 4Now add reserved broth plus 2 more cups of broth, drained beans, undrained beans and undrained green chilis. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add dried instant milk powder and mix; simmer a few minutes more.
- 5If you want a thicker chili add cornstarch mixed with water and cook til thickened. Serve. Top with crisped bacon pieces.
- 6NOTE: You do not have to poach chicken. You could use leftover chicken. Another possibility is to brown cubed chicken breast in bacon drippings and continue leaving out the poaching part and go to sauteeing onion and garlic and add 4 cups of broth as noted above.
- 7Other garnishes/condiments/sides: tortillas, tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, diced red/green peppers.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not Quite so White Chicken Chili (No Tomatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.3
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.4 mg
- Sodium 899.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 42.5 g