4 hrs 15 mins
This is based on the soup served in the U.S. Senate cafeteria - I altered the recipe somewhat to suit my tastes. Dark bread goes very well with it. The soup also freezes well, so you don't need to worry about eating it all at once.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat beans and water to boiling and boil for 2 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- 3Add ham bone and heat to boiling.
- 4Cover and simmer about 2 hours (or until beans are tender).
- 5Stir in remaining ingredients.
- 6Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 7Remove ham bone from soup and trim meat from bone.
- 8Cut meat into small chunks; discard the fat and bone, and stir the ham into the soup.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not-Quite Senate Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 41.3
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 524.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: