Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I live alone so when I buy a bag of coleslaw mix I don't even use half of it. I hate to see it go to waste so I substitute the slaw mix for the 1/2 head cabbage this recipe calls for. I use my own judgment on the amounts of the other ingredients it calls for. Easy to make and tastes great.
- Slice Cabbage. Finely Chop Onion. Finely Crush Garlic Cloves. Chop Bacon into small pieces.
- Fry the Onion and Garlic (do not brown)
- Add the chopped Bacon
- Saute gently until Onions and garlic and bacon are cooked.
- Add Cabbage and stir all ingredients together
- Add Salt and Pepper.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- Add chicken stock.
- Cook slowly in a covered pan for 20 -25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This is my 2nd try at reviewing this recipe - can't believe the 1st one went *POOF*! BUT - make this - soon and often. Cooked fresh kielbasa in water - removed from skillet - used the left over water to make this - served with fried green tomatoes and the kielbas - WHAT A FEAST! I never ever would have thought to put the hot pepper in here - but so glad I did! (When I was younger I wouldn't eat cabbage - what a stupid kid!) Will make often here! THANK YOU!