Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of my "let's see what I can use up" specials. I found in my freezer 4 sandwich steaks, a tiny container of beef broth and some shredded cheddar. In the fridge, I found a few mushrooms, half a green pepper and a couple slices of american cheese. Tossed together with some staple ingredients, I came up with this family favorite skillet dinner. I think it's time to make this one again. Serve with condiments you would use on a steak sandwich - I use A-1 steak sauce, DH likes seasoned tomato sauce, and the kids liked ketchup. I've also made it with ground beef or venison, using about 1/2 pound of meat.
- 12 ounces penne pasta, cooked al dente & drained
- 4 -5 steak-umms steak, sliced into strips or 1⁄2 lb beef, cut for steak sandwiches (paper-thin)
- 3 onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced thin
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 slices American cheese
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth (approx)
- 3 -5 dashes oregano
- 1 pinch basil
- steak sauce
- seasoned tomato sauce (your choice)
- Saute steak, onions, peppers& mushrooms until steak is cooked and veggies are tender.
- Stir in pasta, beef broth, oregano& basil; top with cheese.
- Cover& continue cooking over low heat until cheese is melted.
- Stir gently to completely melt cheese into mixture.
- Serve with steak sauce, ketchup or seasoned tomato sauce.
- Cook& prep times are approximate- it's been a while since I made this, and I fergit!
No steakums, so I sliced Angus steak as thin as I could. Other than that, I made as directed. Some of my family felt this needed more seasoning. But, all in all, it was enjoyed by everyone. Thanks!
This was good and easy to make. I did have to change it up a bit. I used 12 steakums as 4-5 didn't seem like enough. I also used a 15 ounce can of beef broth and about three cups of cheddar and four slices of american cheese. I used minced onions, a whole green pepper and a 4 ounce can of mushrooms. Without any sauce we thought it was very bland. I added about two cups of marinara sauce, salt and pepper and we all enjoyed it.
Would you believe I couldn't find any Steakums in the Superfresh. What kind of self-respecting supermarket doesn't stock Steakums?? I picked what turned out to be a tough cut of meat. I'll use a better cut next time (or I'll go to a different store and get the Steakums!) I used some Crumbles I had left in the fridge in lieu of the American cheese, and I added a handful of halved cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes went in when the pasta did. We enjoyed this in spite of my poor beef judgement. :) Thanks.