You know how it is. Your away from home in a land very different from where you grew up. What is it that you miss the most and long for way down deep? For one such British expat it was simply mom's homemade meatloaf. Type of meat wasn't stated, just "whatever ground meat you can find".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup raisins, divided
- 1 small red onion, chopped and divided
- 1/2 cup couscous, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 lbs ground meat
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 3In large mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup of the raisins, half of the onion, the couscous, salt, curry powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over mixture and cover for 2 minutes.
- 4Add meat and egg to the mixture and mix well.
- 5Pat mixture into a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Bake in the top third of oven for about 30-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- 6NOTE: By the Author: "On average, it takes about 40 minutes for it be thoroughly cooked in my oven. Checking in on it every 10 min or so after the 20 min mark may be a good idea.".
- 8In saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup of raisins, 1/2 of the onion, 1/2 tspn of cinnamon, the tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of water. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat, until tomatoes pop and soften.
Browse Our Top Meatloaf Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Not My Mothers Meatloaf or Meatloaf for an Expat in Morroco
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.2
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 612.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix