Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Totally cool to look at and fun for the kids to make. Not to mention, tasty as well, especially in the hot summer months! COOKS NOTES: add fresh fruit for a change of texture and taste! Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do than I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks ! ZWT REGION: United States of America.
- 4 (3 ounce) packages Jello gelatin, assorted flavors
- 7 cups boiling water
- cooking spray
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint sour cream
- Dissolve each package of Jell-O with 1 3/4 cups boiling water in an individual bowl and set aside.
- Pour contents of 1 bowl into a 9-by-13-inch pan that has been greased with cooking spray. Chill until set, about a half hour.
- Add gelatin to cold water. Set aside.
- Combine milk and sugar in saucepan and bring to boil, then add softened gelatin to milk mixture.
- Combine vanilla with sour cream in large bowl. Gradually pour milk mixture into sour cream, mixing thoroughly. Set aside.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups sour cream mixture on top of firm Jell-O. Chill until set, about a half hour.
- Pour another flavor of Jell-O on top and chill until set, then spread another 1 1/2 cups sour cream mixture on top. Chill until set.
- Spread a third flavor of Jell-O on top, and chill until set. Spread remaining sour cream mixture on top, and chill until set.
- Pour last flavor of Jell-O on top, and chill until set.
For the white layer, I use sweetened condensed milk and the unflavored gelatin, warmed on the stovetop. The white layer is sweeter that way. I've been making this since my son was a youngin', he's 30 now.
I made this for a 6 yr olds birthday party. The kids liked it and were very interested in it because of the layers. None of the adults liked the white mixture... it is just kind of tasteless, it might be better if made with fruit juice. I was concerned about the jello setting up in the bowl before it was added to the dish so I only made the first and second jello mixture. I waited to make the white mixture until the 1st layer was set up (approx 1 hr)and even then I had to reheat it in the bowl over hot water to get it jelled enough for its other layers. This recipe is pretty time consuming for what is produced, but the kids were dazzled.
This was fun! I loved it! 1 kid was weirded out & the other loved it, lol. The 1st layer of jello took over an hour to set but it was boiling water. Each layer took less & less time with the last layer taking about 10 minutes. The milky mixture I had to set over a pot of hot water to keep liquid. Also, the measurements may be off....my plain gelatin comes in 1oz packets so I used 6 of them & it seemed like too much. YUM!! I love this! I want to add fruit to the layers next time. I'm trying to think of a pan to use so that the layers will be thicker but won't overflow. Maybe use 2 glass meatloaf pans? Thanks DPGer Andria - feel better sweetie!!