Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've tried MANY potato salads, but I keep coming back to my mother's recipe. The secret to success is the sweet pickle juice and combining the dressing with hot potatoes!
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup hellman mayonnaise (low fat OK)
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip (low fat OK)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (low fat OK)
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice, from sweet mixed pickles
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard (I like Keene's)
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- POTATOES: Peel and cook in boiling, salted water for 20- 30 minutes.
- DRESSING: Combine mayo, salad dressing, sour cream, pickle juice, pepper, celery and mustard in a small bowl.
- Grate 2 of the hard boiled eggs into the mixture& stir.
- ASSEMBLY: Drain potatoes well and cut into cubes while they are still hot (be careful not to burn your fingers).
- Combine with green onions in a large bowl.
- Stir in dressing.
- Slice the remaining 3 eggs and arrange on top.
- Sprinkle with paprika and chill for a couple of hours before serving.