Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've tried MANY potato salads, but I keep coming back to my mother's recipe. The secret to success is the sweet pickle juice and combining the dressing with hot potatoes!
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup hellman mayonnaise (low fat OK)
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip (low fat OK)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (low fat OK)
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice, from sweet mixed pickles
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard (I like Keene's)
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- POTATOES: Peel and cook in boiling, salted water for 20- 30 minutes.
- DRESSING: Combine mayo, salad dressing, sour cream, pickle juice, pepper, celery and mustard in a small bowl.
- Grate 2 of the hard boiled eggs into the mixture& stir.
- ASSEMBLY: Drain potatoes well and cut into cubes while they are still hot (be careful not to burn your fingers).
- Combine with green onions in a large bowl.
- Stir in dressing.
- Slice the remaining 3 eggs and arrange on top.
- Sprinkle with paprika and chill for a couple of hours before serving.
First of all I have to admit that I did not use the Miracle Whip (don't get it), Used yughurt instead of the Sour cream (you guessed it - don't get it), local brand mayo, no celery seeds, used whole black mustard instead of the dry mustard (don't know what that is either), the sweet pickle was the homemade mango pickle my mum makes. So the 4 stars are not really for your recipe they are for the idea I got from you and what I turned it into. And yes chilli powder for the paprika. I feel pathetic.
This is an excellent potato salad recipe. I made the recipe several hours ahead of time. I cut the recipe in half and used a large left over baked potato. I added chopped hamburger dill pickle slices to mine and used juice from the pickles instead of the juice from sweet mixed pickles that the recipe calls for. It was really god the next day. I think I will make my potato salad like this from now on but add other things to it, depending on what my tastes are at the time I make it. Thanks CountryLady for another great recipe.
Loved this potato salad! The combo of mayo and miracle whip was good and I used a little relish for sweetness. Thanks C.L.