Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A friend made this and I was thrilled by how wonderful it tasted. I never thought I would like JUST mushroom soup. She served it with fresh hot bead and butter. mmmmmmmmmm
- Slice enough mushrooms to measure 1 cup.
- Chop remaining mushrooms.
- Cook and stir sliced mushrooms in 2 Tbls of butter in a 3qt.
- saucepan over low heat until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Cook and stir chopped mushrooms and onion in remaining butter until onion is tender.
- Stir in flour, Salt and Pepper.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly, about 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and water.
- Heat to a boil, stirring constantly.
- boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in half-and-half and sliced mushrooms.
- Garnish with parsley (opt).
Wonderful!!! Subbed beef broth for chicken, used only 3/4 c water and 2 c whole milk instead of 1/2&1/2. Added garlic w/ onions because . . . well, I add it to everything except oatmeal. Since I used whole milk instead of half & half I'll add a little more flour next time to thicken it a bit more. Lots of flavor and perfect for a blustery Northwest day!
mmmmmm.....yummy. first time to taste fresh mushroom soup. this was very good and so easy to make. will make this again and again, good comfort food. dh and i enjoyed this with a nice chef salad. thanks paulcm for posting this recipe!!! UPDATE: 1/14/10 Still using this recipe. Cooked it tonight and enjoyed with a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich. This soup is so flavorful, not to thick or rich, simply delicious.
I made this as part of our traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner and it was quite a hit. I had a couple of recipes I was going to try but they were a bit labor intensive and I was running out of time. This was quick and easy and very delicious. My husband and father-in-law raved about this soup. Even non mushroom lovers gave this a thumbs up.
I used half button and half baby bella mushrooms and 2 cans of chicken broth instead of condensed broth and water. This will be the soup I serve every Christmas Eve. Thanks for posting!