Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
I know there are plenty of tortilla soups posted here on zaar. I was looking for one that did NOT use canned chicken brother, so I came up with my own.
- 3 whole skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups water
- 1 onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 6 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup 2% mexican cheese blend
- Put chicken in a large stock pot with water.
- Slice onion in the eighths, peel and cut carrots and celery into 1/2 inch pieces (or as desired) add to pot.
- Add garlic, spices and bouillon to pot and cook for approximately 1 hour or until chicken is tender (you can add more bouillon if necessary).
- Remove chicken from pot and when cool enough shred the chicken.
- Add canned tomatoes, corn and black beans to broth and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until heated.
- To serve, place tortilla chips on bottom of the bowl covered with shredded cheese and cover with soup.