Recipe by GirlyJu
I don't remember how I came about this recipe, but it beat out my dad's chili in our family chili cookoff! This is powerful chili, so tailor the spices to your liking. I like to serve my chili over corn bread or fritos, and top it with cheddar and onions.My mom in law serves it over rice.
Top Review by AutoBat
This recipe is very tasty and is so much better than my old chili dish! Depending on my target audience I either omit the cayenne or substitute the Jalapeno for 4x more Habenero peppers and substitute crushed tomatos for a jar of Ghost Pepper salsa. If you shop around for the right broth & beans it makes an excellent gluten-free meal that lasts for days. The 4 serving batch (it serves well more than 4!) fits perfectly in my 5 quart crock.
- 1 lb bacon, cut up in small chunks
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 (1 lb) cans kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 ounces chili powder
- 2 ounces cayenne pepper (dry powder)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown bacon and add to crockpot.
- Brown ground beef in bacon drippings.
- Add beef, beans, crushed tomatoes,tomatos paste, onions, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and beef broth in the crockpot.
- Puree jalapeno, garlic and tomatoes in food processor, then add to crockpot.
- Stir all ingredients, then cook 10-12 hrs on low, or 5-6 hrs on high.