Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I don't remember how I came about this recipe, but it beat out my dad's chili in our family chili cookoff! This is powerful chili, so tailor the spices to your liking. I like to serve my chili over corn bread or fritos, and top it with cheddar and onions.My mom in law serves it over rice.
- 1 lb bacon, cut up in small chunks
- 4 lbs ground beef
- 4 (1 lb) cans kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 ounces chili powder
- 2 ounces cayenne pepper (dry powder)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- Brown bacon and add to crockpot.
- Brown ground beef in bacon drippings.
- Add beef, beans, crushed tomatoes,tomatos paste, onions, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and beef broth in the crockpot.
- Puree jalapeno, garlic and tomatoes in food processor, then add to crockpot.
- Stir all ingredients, then cook 10-12 hrs on low, or 5-6 hrs on high.
This recipe is very tasty and is so much better than my old chili dish! Depending on my target audience I either omit the cayenne or substitute the Jalapeno for 4x more Habenero peppers and substitute crushed tomatos for a jar of Ghost Pepper salsa. If you shop around for the right broth & beans it makes an excellent gluten-free meal that lasts for days. The 4 serving batch (it serves well more than 4!) fits perfectly in my 5 quart crock.
my husband loves spicy stuff and this is his favorite dish for me to make. since he loves me i make it for him
Very basic chili - in my opinion needs more depth. I'm a huge fan of spicy chilies and was hoping this would be a bit more flavorful.