Recipe by Mirj
This veggie chicken soup is based on a Mollie Katzen recipe. Instead of discarding the vegetable I sometimes mash them, add some eggs, oil and matzo meal and make them into a kugel.
Top Review by rangapeach
This is a really good veggie broth that can be made in a crockpot and used for a variety of clear broth style soups. After the simmering vegetables are removed I added diced carrots, cauliflowerettes, and a quarter cup of French lentils, simmering until the lentils were just tender. Garnish with finely minced parsley and chives. Very nice! Thanks, Mirj.
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (8 inch) parsnips, cut in chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut in chunks
- 8 -10 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and partially cover.
- Cook slowly for 1-2 hours.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool to room temperature.
- Strain out and discard all the vegetables.
- Heat gently just before serving.
- We cook matzoh balls separately and add them to the soup as we serve it.
- Matzoh balls cooked or reheated in the soup will turn a beautiful golden color thanks to the turmeric.