Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Last night I was thinking of the apple salad my grandmother used to make which I loved when I was young - looked high and low for a similar recipe and couldn't find it, so I came up with this version which is similiar but not exactly grandma's recipe.
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used Granny Smith's but I think my grandmother would have used McIntosh)
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip)
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large salad bowl combine apples, celery, pineapple chunks, and raisins. Toss.
- In a small bowl or jar combine dressing ingredients (maynaisse - sugar), stirring to combine (depending on how big apples and celery are you may need more or less mayo, adjusting other ingredients to taste).
- Add dressing to salad and toss to combine.
- Add walnuts (if using). Toss.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour. This salad gets better if made early and refrigerated for a few hours before using.
We really enjoyed this salad Ellie, it has a great combo of flavors, I only used one stalk of celery as we are not celery-lover's here! I also omited the dill. thanks for sharing Ellie!...Kitten:)