Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple, non-milk based soup. Garnish w/ sliced hard-boiled eggs.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- Melt the butter in the saucepan; sautee the onions until soft.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the chicken broth a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a soft boil and add the spinach. Season with nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with egg slices.
Delightful! More than 5 stars! My DH and our dinner guest, Eric, are still talking about this soup the next day! The roux and chicken broth base really make this a stand-out recipe. This is going into my my Best of 2010 cookbook. Thanks, Parsley! Made for Unrulies Under the Influence, ZWT6.
This is very good! The nutmeg makes it very appropriate for the fall weather, it's warming and comforting. So simple too! Thanks!