Recipe by *Parsley*
A simple, non-milk based soup. Garnish w/ sliced hard-boiled eggs.
Top Review by mersaydees
Delightful! More than 5 stars! My DH and our dinner guest, Eric, are still talking about this soup the next day! The roux and chicken broth base really make this a stand-out recipe. This is going into my my Best of 2010 cookbook. Thanks, Parsley! Made for Unrulies Under the Influence, ZWT6.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in the saucepan; sautee the onions until soft.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the chicken broth a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a soft boil and add the spinach. Season with nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with egg slices.