1 hr 15 mins
I have a Norwegian born DBIL. He really enjoys food but especially those native to his family history. I am posting recipes which are very similar to those that my sister cooks for him. I am especially choosing to post those dishes which I have personally enjoyed eating in their home. I am also posting these recipes because of ZWT 2010. Preparation time does not include the overnight soak of the yellow peas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First, soak 1-pound whole or split peas in cold water overnight.
- 2The peas will swell so make sure to more than cover them with water.
- 3Rinse, drain, and pick over the peas before adding to soup pot along with ham bone with enough water to more than cover them.
- 4Add the remaining ingredients.
- 5Simmer covered for about 45 minutes on low to medium heat.
- 6Check soup about every 15 minutes to make certain that it has enough water and also to stir to prevent burning.
- 7Remove ham bone from pot.
- 8Cut off the bone whatever meat still clings to it and add those pieces to the soup.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Yellow Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.6
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 624.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: