Recipe by CarrolJ
I have a Norwegian born DBIL. He really enjoys food but especially those native to his family history. I am posting recipes which are very similar to those that my sister cooks for him. I am especially choosing to post those dishes which I have personally enjoyed eating in their home. I am also posting these recipes because of ZWT 2010. Preparation time does not include the overnight soak of the yellow peas.
- 1 lb yellow peas
- 1 ham bone, with some meat left on it
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- First, soak 1-pound whole or split peas in cold water overnight.
- The peas will swell so make sure to more than cover them with water.
- Rinse, drain, and pick over the peas before adding to soup pot along with ham bone with enough water to more than cover them.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer covered for about 45 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Check soup about every 15 minutes to make certain that it has enough water and also to stir to prevent burning.
- Remove ham bone from pot.
- Cut off the bone whatever meat still clings to it and add those pieces to the soup.