Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Norwegian white sauce or cream sauce is a classic on potatoes, fish and vegetables. This sauce is extremely easy to make and just as delicious!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash cayenne
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- white pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen sweet peas, cooked (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan simmer milk on medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, bay leaf and cayenne. Simmer for a few minutes stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Strain the milk into a bowl and discard the onion and bay leaf.
- Melt the butter in the sauce pan and whisk in flour until thick, this is called the roux.
- Stir in the milk and simmer until the desired consistancy is reached (5-10 mins). Sauce will thicken as it stands.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in peas if desired.