Norwegian Vegetable Soup (Fersk Suppe)
- In a large saucepot, bring water, salt, beef and soup bone to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. During cooking, remove foam that forms on top.
- After 1 hour, add chopped onions and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Then add carrots, cabbage, nutmeg, bouillon and pepper. Simmer another 1/2 hour. Remove meat and bones and keep meat warm.
- Prepare sauce by mixing white sauce with vinegar, sugar and horseradish.
- Serve the soup first, then the meat and sauce.
- Tastes good with steamed red potatoes sprinkled with parsley.