Recipe by Bec
I love onions, so I can't wait to give this a try! From a little Norwegian Recipes book of mine. Makes 6 servings.
Top Review by Susie D
I made several changes to match my families preferences and liked what I ended up with. I reduced the butter to 1 tablespoon, added garlic, and used a mixture of ground turkey and ground beef. I also added a bit of nutmeg before stuffing the onions. I microwaved the onions a bit before stuffing to soften & reduce the oven time. Thank you Bec for sharing your recipe!
- 6 large onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb veal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the onions and cut a 1/2 inch slice from the top of each. Put these aside to use for a topping.
- Hollow out the centers of the onions to form holes for the stuffing. Save the center of the onions and chop them fine.
- Melt the butter and brown the chopped onions. Add the ground meat, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- When the meat is browned, stuff the centers of the onions with the meat mixture.
- Put the top slices of the onions back on and secure them in place with toothpicks.
- Put the onions in a baking dish and pour the beef stock over them.
- Bake them at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until the onions are soft.