1/1 Photo of Norwegian Strawberries and Cream Cake Blotkake
1 hr 5 mins
This is basically a wonderfully light and eggy sponge cake that absorbs the juices of fresh strawberries and the rather thin custard in its filling. Literally translated the name means “wet cake.” Although it is called “Norwegian,: it is popular throughout Scandinavia with custard, jam, and berries. Whipped cream is pile on top in a cloudlike drift. Scandinavian cooks sink a few beautiful fresh strawberries into the topping for a final garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup cake flour (not self rising flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream (half milk, half cream)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam or 1/2 cup apricot jam, warmed and strained
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1FOR THE CAKE; Blend flour with baking powder; set aside.
- 2In large bowl, whip egg whites until fluffy; gradually add sugar, and beat until stiff and meringuelike.
- 3In small bowl, beat egg yolks until frothy. Fold egg yolks and flour mixture into the egg whites gently.
- 4Butter two 9 inch round cake pans and dust with flour. Divide batter between the pans.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F Bake layers 30 minutes or until centers spring back when touched with finger. Cool in pans. (Centers of cakes may sink slightly.).
- 6To prepare the custard filling, in small saucepan, mix egg yolks, butter, cornstarch, half and half cream, and sugar. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat, cover, and cool. Stir in vanilla.
- 7To assemble the cake, cut layers horizontally into 2 layers each. Place bottom layer on cake plate and spread with half of the custard. Top with next layer. Spread with the strawberry or apricot jam. Reserve a few of the nicest strawberries for garnish on top of the cake. Slice the rest of the strawberries and place on top of jam layer. Top with a third layer of cake. Spread with remaining custard. Top with remaining layer of cake.
- 8No more than 1 hour before serving, whip cream and flavor with the powdered sugar and vanilla. Pile whipped cream on top of the cake and garnish with the reserved strawberries.
- 9The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Strawberries and Cream Cake Blotkake
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.4
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 143.6 mg
- Sodium 86.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g