This is basically a wonderfully light and eggy sponge cake that absorbs the juices of fresh strawberries and the rather thin custard in its filling. Literally translated the name means “wet cake.” Although it is called “Norwegian,: it is popular throughout Scandinavia with custard, jam, and berries. Whipped cream is pile on top in a cloudlike drift. Scandinavian cooks sink a few beautiful fresh strawberries into the topping for a final garnish.
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour (not self rising flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 eggs, separated (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream (half milk, half cream)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry jam or 1⁄2 cup apricot jam, warmed and strained
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (sometimes called icing sugar or confectioners')
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR THE CAKE; Blend flour with baking powder; set aside.
- In large bowl, whip egg whites until fluffy; gradually add sugar, and beat until stiff and meringuelike.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks until frothy. Fold egg yolks and flour mixture into the egg whites gently.
- Butter two 9 inch round cake pans and dust with flour. Divide batter between the pans.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake layers 30 minutes or until centers spring back when touched with finger. Cool in pans. (Centers of cakes may sink slightly.).
- To prepare the custard filling, in small saucepan, mix egg yolks, butter, cornstarch, half and half cream, and sugar. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture is smooth and thick. Remove from heat, cover, and cool. Stir in vanilla.
- To assemble the cake, cut layers horizontally into 2 layers each. Place bottom layer on cake plate and spread with half of the custard. Top with next layer. Spread with the strawberry or apricot jam. Reserve a few of the nicest strawberries for garnish on top of the cake. Slice the rest of the strawberries and place on top of jam layer. Top with a third layer of cake. Spread with remaining custard. Top with remaining layer of cake.
- No more than 1 hour before serving, whip cream and flavor with the powdered sugar and vanilla. Pile whipped cream on top of the cake and garnish with the reserved strawberries.
- The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.