Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
from House & Garden, 1964
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, choppped
- 1 1⁄2 quarts beef broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled,sliced
- Cook spinach in broth 10 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid.
- Melt butter and stir in flour.
- When blended, add broth a little at a time.
- Cover, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Serve with hard-boiled egg slices floating atop.
Love this soup. I use vegetarian or chicken broth instead of beef, otherwise everything else i follow exactly. Thanks!
We just had this soup for lunch and it was very good, and we enjoyed it very much. Thanks, roozer!
this was very good!! as a vegan i used vegetable stock instead of beef and ommited the eggs...it was very tasty!!!!