2 hrs 15 mins
Added for ZWT 6. What better treat for the end of the school year?!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar plus 1 tbsp. water, mixed to form a light glaze
- shredded coconut
- 1Combine milk and butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat until scalded. Remove from heat and let sit until it is lukewarm.
- 2Add the yeast and sugar to the milk and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in the cardamom and flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- 4Cover with a clean towel and let rise about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- 5When the dough has finished rising, punch it down, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and shiny.
- 6Roll the dough into an 18" long log and slice into 20 equal sections. Roll each section into a ball and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 7Cover the buns and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 8Prepare the pudding mix as directed, except reduce the milk to 2.5 cups. Allow pudding to thicken at room temperature while the buns are rising.
- 9Preheat oven to 365°F
- 10Once the buns have finished rising, use your finger to poke a well in the top center of each bun. Scoop 1-1.5 tbsp pudding into each well. Allow dough to rise 10 more minutes.
- 11Brush a well-beaten egg over the edges and sides of the dough.
- 12Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13Remove from oven and brush the dough with the sugar glaze, being careful to not get the glaze on the pudding. Dip into shredded coconut.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian School Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.2
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 133.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 3.7 g