Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Added for ZWT 6. What better treat for the end of the school year?!
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cardamom
- 4 cups flour
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar plus 1 tbsp. water, mixed to form a light glaze
- shredded coconut
- Combine milk and butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat until scalded. Remove from heat and let sit until it is lukewarm.
- Add the yeast and sugar to the milk and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cardamom and flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Cover with a clean towel and let rise about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- When the dough has finished rising, punch it down, turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and shiny.
- Roll the dough into an 18" long log and slice into 20 equal sections. Roll each section into a ball and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover the buns and allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the pudding mix as directed, except reduce the milk to 2.5 cups. Allow pudding to thicken at room temperature while the buns are rising.
- Preheat oven to 365°F
- Once the buns have finished rising, use your finger to poke a well in the top center of each bun. Scoop 1-1.5 tbsp pudding into each well. Allow dough to rise 10 more minutes.
- Brush a well-beaten egg over the edges and sides of the dough.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush the dough with the sugar glaze, being careful to not get the glaze on the pudding. Dip into shredded coconut.