Recipe by alvinakatz
A hearty healthy full-grain bread. Slice thinly and serve with cheese or high-quality butter. Cooking time does not include rising time. From New Settlement Cookbook. Haven't made it yet. Submitted for ZWT9.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups rye flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- hot water
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- flour, for kneading
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Beat in as much hot water as the flour will absorb, making a stiff batter.
- Cover and let stand until lukewarm.
- Disolve yeast in the warm water, add to the dough with enough flour to knead.
- Let sit, covered, in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Shape into loaves.
- Put into bread pans, or not, your choice, and let rise again, covered, in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 75 minutes.