Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
It seems that most countries have their own version of rice pudding.
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1 quart milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely ground blanched almond
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped for garnish
- Place the rice in a strainer and pour the boiling water over the rice. Drain well.
- Place the rice, milk and salt in a double boiler and cook, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until all is thick and creamy.
- Stir in the butter, sugar, almond extract, nutmeg and almonds.
- Serve warm or chilled, with whipped cream.
made this for a visisting Norwegian friend and he said thank you