My DBIL was born in Norway and really likes his heritage dishes to eat. This is his favorite lunch or snack. He uses all kinds of breads...except what he calls (American) Air Bread. When I have visited it appears his preference is Pumpernickel and Sourdough. My sister says that when they go to Norway to visit DBIL's lifelong friend...that the friend's wife serves these open-faced sandwiches all day long. Any kind of meat and cheese can be used...I'm simply mentioning those which my DBIL seems to eat the most often. At Norwegian parties I have attended the 'open faced' sandwiches were premade with various meats and cheeses and stacked beautifully on a large platter.
- Butter each slice of bread with half the butter.
- Spread half the mustard on top of each buttered slice of bread.
- Lay a slice of meat on top of the 2 slices of bread.
- Lay half the cheese on top of the meat.
- Serve with the Pickles and olives on the side.
- This makes 2 topless sandwiches which is what 'open faced' means.
- Can be sliced in half if bread is too large or eaten with a knife and fork.