Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Great party fare.
Make and share this Norwegian Nuts recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb whole pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Arrange nuts and the 2 teaspoons buter on shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in shallow pan in the oven.
- In a bowl, beat eggs until they form moist peaks.
- Combine sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Fold into egg whites.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread mixture over melted butter.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool then break into pieces.
I think that this recipe has great potential, but it's incorrect in several areas. First of all, it states 1 tsp of butter in ingredients list, then calls for 2 tsp of butter added to the nuts in step 2. Second, I had to remove the nuts from the oven after 14 minutes as they were beginning to burn. I don't know what 25 minutes would do to them!I also baked the final product for 35 minutes, and the sides were beginning to burn on the bottom. The center nuts were great and quite tasty, though.
These are really tasty! I was afraid they would be too sweet, but they turned out mildly sweet with a nice touch of cinnamon. The egg whites get very brown and crispy, making these taste almost like cinnamon-pecan cookie fragments. Watch them carefully while they're in the oven though - I left them in for the full 40 minutes, and while they looked light golden on top, the bottoms and the nuts got a little burnt in spots. Luckily, even the burnt pieces tasted good!