Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is yet another recipe I found on the net when I was searching for recipes from Norway. This makes 120 meatballs that can be made ahead and frozen. They are great served either as an appetizer or as a main dish for Christmas. Serve these with mashed potatoes, steamed carrots and lefse.
- 5 lbs ground meat (beef, veal and pork, ground 3 times (Kitchen Aid)
- 2 medium onions, finely ground (save juice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup cracker meal or 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 4 -5 bouillon cubes or 4 -5 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- flour, for thickening
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Combine meat, onions, juice, spices, salt, pepper, eggs, half and half, and cracker meal. Knead by hand for 5 minutes or more to combine spices into meat. Lightly grease or spray baking pans. Form small, round meatballs; dipping hands into cold water to shape smooth. Bake 15 minutes. Can be frozen at this point. Place meatballs in large kettle; add bouillon, meat drippings from baking pan and water to cover. Stir in Kitchen Bouquet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Remove meatballs. Thicken gravy with flour to desired consistency.
- Note: Servings will be based on how you serve them. I think about 10-12 servings as a main dish or more if served as an appetizer.