Another recipe I tried in Cuisine At Home Magazine and it was a real hit in my family...Easy and a great comfort food.
For the Meatballs
- 3⁄4 cup onion, grated
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Add and Shape
- 1 lb meatloaf mix (or equal parts of gound beef, pork, and veal)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Prepare Brown Gravy
- 4 cups beef broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk onion, half and half, cornstarch, egg, salt, and spices together in large bowl.
- Add ground meats, blend to incorporatae, then scoop into thirty 1 1/2" meatballs, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Heat butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Roll meatballs between your palms, then brown in the butter mixture (in batches), about 2 minutes per side; do not cook through. Carefully transfer meatballs to a dutch oven, pour off fat from skillet, and return it to the burner over medium heat.
- Prepare brown gravy:.
- Deglaze the skillet the meatballs were sauteed in with 3 1/2 cups broth, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in beef base and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, shisk flour and kitchen bouquet ina cut with the remaining 1/2 cup broth. Add this mixture to the simmering broth, stirring constantly.
- Cook 5 minutes, skimming if necessary, then season with salt and pepper. Pour gravy over meatballs, cover pot, and braise 35-40 minutes in oven, or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve over mashed potoes or buttered noodles.