1/3 Photos of Norwegian Meatballs in Brown Gravy
24 hrs 30 mins
Another recipe I tried in Cuisine At Home Magazine and it was a real hit in my family...Easy and a great comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Meatballs
- 3/4 cup onion, grated
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Add and Shape
- 1 lb meatloaf mix (or equal parts of gound beef, pork, and veal)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Prepare Brown Gravy
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2Whisk onion, half and half, cornstarch, egg, salt, and spices together in large bowl.
- 3Add ground meats, blend to incorporatae, then scoop into thirty 1 1/2" meatballs, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 4Heat butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 5Roll meatballs between your palms, then brown in the butter mixture (in batches), about 2 minutes per side; do not cook through. Carefully transfer meatballs to a dutch oven, pour off fat from skillet, and return it to the burner over medium heat.
- 6Prepare brown gravy:.
- 7Deglaze the skillet the meatballs were sauteed in with 3 1/2 cups broth, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in beef base and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 8Meanwhile, shisk flour and kitchen bouquet ina cut with the remaining 1/2 cup broth. Add this mixture to the simmering broth, stirring constantly.
- 9Cook 5 minutes, skimming if necessary, then season with salt and pepper. Pour gravy over meatballs, cover pot, and braise 35-40 minutes in oven, or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve over mashed potoes or buttered noodles.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Meatballs in Brown Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.6
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.3 mg
- Sodium 1598.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: