1/3 Photos of Norwegian Labscouse
1 hr 10 mins
Shawn C's Note:
This is a family favorite. My grandfather started making for my dad when he was a little boy- a Norwegian dish that always pleases the whole family and leaves us begging for more. I realize that it may be confusing that there are no amounts listed. This is a "to taste" recipe. And the amounts are equal if you have a 3 lb roast then you use 3 lbs of potatoes. When mashing them together add milk/pot liquor to your preference of consistency. Also the seasonings you add should be to your taste i.e. garlic, salt, pepper, butter or other spices YOU like. Adapt this recipe to your taste and make it YOUR dish! I am now making amounts for those who are totally confused.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using the pound for pound corned beef to potatoes wash off any seasoning on corned beef, use any juice on a none seasoned corned beef in the boiling water. with onion and garlic.
- 2Figure 20 minutes per pound for cooking.
- 3Cook at a low boil, high boil will produce a tough roast.
- 4Boil beef with salt and pepper until half way through cooking time.
- 5Remove meat. Cut off all the fat and dispose; dice meat into small tiny pieces and put back into pot. i have actually chopped it up a little more in my food processor.
- 6Wash, peel, and dice potatoes; add to the pot, continue to low boil until potatoes are done.
- 7Be careful not to over cook potatoes.
- 8Drain well over a large bowl to reserve juices (pot liquor).
- 9In another large bowl mash potatoes and beef together adding milk, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. and making sure all are blended well and you have a smooth texture.
- 10If additional liquid is needed, you can use some of the reserved "pot liquor" instead of more milk.
- 11**TIP** For breakfast; fry up some like hash and have with eggs.
- 12Its great!
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Labscouse
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 850.3
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 248.4 mg
- Sodium 3064.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 47.6 g