This bread is great and I could not find it anywhere on the internet. I have two recipes; I will put the easiest recipe on. Please bear with me, I have not put a recipe on here before. My aunt made this every week. I could have lived on this when I was in Norway.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- In a bowl heat 1 1/2 c milk and 1 1/2 c water; add margarine till melted.
- Heat 1/2 c milk and 1/2 c water just till slightly warm then add yeast.
- Add wet ingredients to dry a little at a time; mix after each addition of wet ingredients.
- Flour table; place dough on flour and then knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl and put in a warm place.
- When double in bulk, turn out on floured table and knead 5 minutes.
- Divide into 3.
- Place in greased loaf pans.
- Let stand in warm place till doubled.
- Bake 45 minutes at 400°F.
This is a very tasty bread with a nice chewy texture. Went great with soup. I cut recipe in thirds, but next time will make full recipe and freeze 2 loaves so I have some when I make soup during the winter! I used whole wheat flour and whole wheat bran. Couldn't find wheat berries, but will go looking for them next time. Made for Fall 2008 My-3-Chefs.