1/1 Photo of Norwegian Herb-Nut Bread
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
A savory bread that is good with butter or cheese. It goes well with soups and stews. From "Home Cooking" by Mary Poulos Wilde. (Cooking time includes rising time).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110F-115F)
- 1/2 cup milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, dried, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, dried, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, dried, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, dried, crushed
- 1 egg, room temperature, well beaten
- 2 -2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- all-purpose flour, for kneading
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water and let stand until it is spongy.
- 2In a large warm mixing bowl, pour the hot milk over the sugar, butter, salt and herbs; stir to melt the butter.
- 3When mixture cools to 110F -115F, stir in beaten egg and yeast mixture.
- 4Gradually add about half of the flour, stirring first with a wooden spoon or dough hook if using an electric mixer.
- 5Mix in the nuts.
- 6Add just enough flour to make a soft, nonsticky dough.
- 7Turn out on a lightly floured surface, knead until the dough is satiny.
- 8Lightly oil a large, warm bowl and place the dough inside, turning once to cover with oil.
- 9Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let stand in a warm place (80F) until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 10Knock the dough back and shape into a loaf.
- 11Place in a buttered or oiled bread loaf pan and again set in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- 12Bake at 375F about 30 minutes or until the loaf is brown and sounds hollow when thumped with your fingers.
- 13Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
- 14Slice thickly and store in a plastic bag to keep it moist.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Herb-Nut Bread
Serving Size: 1 (748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1786.8
- Calories from Fat 717
- Total Fat 79.7 g
- Saturated Fat 36.3 g
- Cholesterol 350.5 mg
- Sodium 2800.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 238.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 33.6 g
- Sugars 52.3 g
- Protein 51.0 g