I found this wonderful cake in a Pillsbury booklet from 1984. I like to make it for special occasions. It is very dense, rich, and almost chewy. Guests have either loved it or hated it. Since I love it, I'm posting it here. Hope you love it too. (ZWT3 Norwegian settlers have had a great influence on the Midwest)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly grease bottom only of a 10-inch springform pan.
- 3Reserve 8 whole hazelnuts for garnish.
- 4With a blender or food processor, grind hazelnuts to a coarse meal (makes about 1 1/3 cups).
- 5Reserve 1 Tablespoon ground hazelnuts for garnish.
- 6Melt butter; set aside to cool.
- 7In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until thick and lemon colored, about 2-3 minutes.
- 8Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- 9Add flour, baking powder, and ground hazelnuts; mix well.
- 10Continue beating, adding cooled, melted butter gradually until well blended.
- 11(Mixture will be quite thick).
- 12Spread batter in prepared pan.
- 13Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 14Cool 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.
- 15Run long knife under cake to loosen from pan bottom; invert onto serving plate.
- 16Allow to cool about 30 minutes, covered with light cloth towel.
- 17To prepare glaze, bring half-and-half and salt just to a boil; remove from heat.
- 18Stir in chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until melted and smooth.
- 19Spread glaze over top of cake, allowing some to drizzle down the sides.
- 20Sprinkle reserved ground hazelnuts around the top edge of the cake.
- 21Halve reserved whole hazelnuts; arrange around top edge of cake over nut garnish.
- 22Store in a tightly closed cake container as this cake will dry out.
- 23I have also frozen it successfully.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Norwegian Hazelnut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.6
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 109.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 25.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g