Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for Zaar World Tour II. This cake can be made in advance and frozen.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place butter and flour in a mixing bowl.
- Mix 5 minutes at low speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add gradually to creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla and mix additionaly 2 minutes.
- Turn into greased and floured 10 inch tube or Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
I have been making this wonderful cake for years. Don't be tempted to cream the butter with the sugar because you won't get that depth of flavor that you get by creaming the butter with the flour. This is the perfect cake that doesn't need any embellishments. Just eat it plain.
I was looking for a simple cake recipe that had grandmas love written all over it...this was it. The recipe was so simple but the cake tasted so home made, so spongy, oh so good. My husband gave it 5 stars also, said it tasted like his moms ...a comment reserved for only very good recipes. Thanks for posting! UPDATE: Also made this as a wedding cake because the texture is not too dense and not to light that it falls apart.
Delicious. This reciped caught my eye because my grandmother used to make a cake called Norwegian Gold Cake and I loved it. She has now passed and we couldn't find the recipe. This taste just like hers. I was so thrilled. I too thought the instructions a little odd but I did as instructed and it came out great. Thanks Recipe Zaar g