Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful cold soup. We have served it at Christmas in place of cranberries. It is a favorite with children. Note: The rice is strained out early in the recipe and only the starch is used.
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 apples, peeled & chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups dark sweet canned cherries (with liquid)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- Boil rice, water, cinnamon, and salt for 15 minutes. Strain our rice so that 1-1/2 c base is left. (Add more water if necessary.).
- Add apples and sugar. Boil until apples are cooked.
- Add a bit of the mixture to the cornstarch. Then add the cornstarch mixture and the cherries to the rest of the liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the raspberries and mace.