Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
Can be made by hand or in bread machine. Posted for 'Zaar World Tour II.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 400º.
- In large bowl combine whole wheat flour, sugar, butter and water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients using enough flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth (5 minutes).
- Divide dough in half; shape each half into 12x2 1/2 inch roll.
- Cut each roll into 12 portions.
- On lightly floured surface roll each portion to 1/8 inch thickness (flat breads will be irregular in shape).
- Place on cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown.
These are awesome. They are slightly sweet and I could see them being perfect for breakfast burrito wraps or just spread with jelly. We had them with spicy shrimp and the combination of spicy and sweet was perfect. I halved the recipe and now I wish I hadn't. Thank you Charmie for Posting!