Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use this in chowders or fish stews. Can be frozen for future use.
- 1⁄4 cup parsnip, coarsely chopped (no need to peel)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, coarsely chopped (no need to peel)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 large potato, coarsely chopped (no need to peel-just wash)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon parsley stems, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery ribs, with leaves-chopped
- 2 lbs fish (trimmings-heads, bones etc.)
- 4 quarts cold water
- Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart stock pot. Bring to a boil, partially cover the pot, turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl, pressing down hard on the vegetables and fish trimmings with the back of a spoon to extract their juices. Diiscard solids.
- Wash the pot and return the strained stock to it. Reduce the stock to about 6 cups by boiling it rapidly, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Restrain through a fine sieve or through a double thickness of cheesecloth lining a regular sieve.
- Use for soup or freeze for future use.