Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is just a good Norwegian "Home Cooking" recipe that I found on a Norwegian blog. There are many variations, so use what you like and have on hand. I love this recipe because it is a great use of leftover fish! Posted for ZWT9
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 3 eggs, Divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fish, cooked (cod, halibut, tilapia, or whatever you like)
- 1 cup macaroni, cooked
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped vegetables (optional, use what you like)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour, and then add the milk, stirring all the while. (If the milk is slightly heated it’s easier to get this lump-free!) Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the spices. Then pull off of the heat and let the sauce/base cool for a bit.
- Stir in egg yolks, cooked fish, cooked macaroni, and any veggies that you want to add (chopped leeks, grated carrots, or peas would be good!)
- Beat the egg whites until they’re stiff, then carefully fold this into the fish mixture. Put it in a well-greased casserole dish and sprinkle bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake at 375 F for 40-50 minutes. When done, the casserole should be firm all the way through.
I could just say "ditto" to Annacia's review :). This was a really tasty keeper of a recipe, and while it took a few extra minutes to prepare I would say the time was worth the end result. I used a cup of steamed broccoli in the mix and it was a great fit, though I can see many veggies working here. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 9, Gourmet Goddesses.
Let me start by saying that I have placed this recipe in two cookboks before even writin the review. Those two books are Favorites of 2013 and My All Time Fav's. This recipe tastes like gourmet fare but it's on a budget cost. I used salmon tonight but this will perfectly accept any fish or shellfish with equal grace and good taste. The single thing that I will alter next time is to make more sauce. It's so good that I just wanted everything drowning in it. No veggies were added to the casserole but I used roasted carrots and steamed broccoli as sides. Bravo and thank you for sharing this keeper. Made for ZWT 9 (this time)