Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My suggestion if you need to bring a SUCCESS CAKE, or a Sunday dinner dessert. We love this one, and make it over and over again.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cream sherry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- In a small bowl combine dates and the 3 tablespoons of sherry.
- Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In another small bowl combine pecans, brown sugar, the 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, and the 1 tablespoon butter.
- Stir in date mixture.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl beat the 1 cup granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup butter, and egg with an electric mixer till smooth.
- Beat in sour cream and the 1 tablespoon sherry.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add to sour cream mixture.
- Beat till well combined.
- In a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan spread half the sour cream batter.
- Top with half the date mixture.
- Top with remaining batter, then date mixture.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover cake with foil for last 15 minutes of baking.
- Cool slightly.
- Sherry Glaze: In a saucepan combine 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons water, and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Cook and stir till bubbly.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons sherry.
- Drizzle glaze over coffee cake.