Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Millie my neighbor used to make these for us all the time. I loved the rich buttery taste and the cherry and almond flavor. Cooking time does not include chilling time.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 21 -24 maraschino cherries, halves
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Stir in flour and almond extract.
- Chill dough 1-2 hours.
- Make balls the size of small walnuts.
- Flatten balls on cookie sheet with the bottom of a glass dipped in flour.
- Press a ½ of a cherry onto each cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes until edges are light brown.
- Do not over bake.
- You can sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Very good. Next time I'll double the almond extract because we couldn't really taste it. I rolled them in sugar and then flattened them slightly and they came out glittery and very pretty.
These ended up our favorite cookies this holiday season! I did take the advise of another rater and doubled the extract-perfect!
Amazing, my mom and I loved them. My siblings, 6 and 9 didn't, probably better for an older audience. I also doubled the almond extract and were very tasty.