Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Hjortebakkels are smaller and richer than American cake doughnuts. Not included in prep time is letting the dough rest overnight. Posting for ZWT6 (Scandinavia/Norway)
Top Review by Queen Dana
Good dougnuts. The dough was easier to work with than other doughnut recipes I've tried in the past, in fact I didn't need to use any flour when rolling the dough out. After refrigerating the dough overnight night, it took me about 90 minutes from start to finish. Made fo ZWT6.
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- juice & zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- sugar, to taste
- cardamom, to taste
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs until lemon colored.
- Add sugar, flour, butter, whipping cream, baking powder, baking soda, lemon juice and zest and Cognac.
- Mix until stiff dough forms. Let dough stand overnight.
- Form into roll as big around as your finger.
- Cut into 3 inch lengths and form circles by over lapping ends.
- Or roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with lightly floured doughnut cutter.
- Deep-fry at 350 degrees, turning frequently until puffed and brown.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cardamom to taste.