Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pickled beet
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet gherkin
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped (optional)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 fluid ounces pilsner beer
- In a medium sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to turn golden, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add the beets, pickles, and capers (if using) and sauté for 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the vegetable mixture with the beef, eggs, salt, pepper, chili powder, and 2 fluid ounces of the beer; mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties, compressing firmly.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Pan fry the patties until done to taste, approximately 6 to 7 minutes on each side for a medium burger.
- Remove the patties from the pan and set aside.
- Pour off the grease from the sauté pan.
- Add the remaining beer to the pan and cook for approximately 10 minutes, scraping up the brown bits with a spoon.
- Pour the beer sauce over the burgers and serve.