Norwegian Beef Stew (Lapskaus)
- Dice the beef, cover with water, and simmer for one hour.
- Separately, wash and peel the vegetables and potatoes, and cut them into bite-size cubes.
- Bring the beef broth to a boil. Add the carrots and the rutabaga, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Then add potatoes, and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add the meat and onion, and season to taster with salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook until the stew thickens and the meat, vegetables and potatoes ae all tender (but not mushy).
- Stir occasionally while cooking, being careful not to let them burn.