Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious with a cup of tea or coffee. From grouprecipes.com
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 apples, peeled & sliced very thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together. Add to butter mixture.
- Beat together eggs and almond extract. Mix into dough.
- In a greased and floured 9x13 pan, press down one half of the dough with your fingers. It will be sticky, so you might want to oil them first.
- Mix the apples with the allspice (or you can substitute cinnamon).
- Spread the apples over the dough in the pan.
- Drop the other half of the dough over the apples and press dough down slightly. It doesn't matter if all the apples aren't covered.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Mix confectioner's sugar, water & vanilla to make a thin icing.
- Drizzle icing over cooled cake. Cut into squares to serve.
Mmm Mmmm Good! This was a huge hit with the young men in my house tonight and I thought it was delicious! I made it just as the recipe directed, execept I added some sliced almonds to the top after I spread the icing on, and it looked as pretty as it tasted! We had it for dessert tonight but I have leftovers and I am looking forward to another slice with coffee in the morning.<br/><br/>Made for Family Picks ZWT9
I had made this for zwt9 Scandinavian recipe..it was absolutely terrific !!!!! I used only half the sugar and still turned out terrific.......I really love this home cooked dessert followed recipe to a T minus the sugar......thank you for another wonderful recipe Pesto lover
I can't remember baking a better tasting apple cake than this one. I loved it. I used 3 different types of apples. I used a mandoline to thinly slice them. Due to nut allergies, I had to substitute vanilla extract for the almond extract. Finally, I made it the night before we were going to eat it. It stayed fresh tasting, just being covered with plastic wrap until the next evening.