Recipe by French Tart
A classic and favourite cake recipe from Norway. The Scandinavians love using fruit in their cooking, and this apple cake is a wonderful example of a moist and fruity dessert type cake. It can be served warm or cold and freezes very well.
Top Review by Marc B.
Big fan it Norwegian good and this is one amazing cake, taste very Christmassy with the cinnamon in it specialy when is warm out the oven with a little brandy cream, very easy to make, if you haven't yet 100% say do it it's worth it
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the sugar with the butter, until light, fluffy and pale golden. Slowly add the beaten eggs and then add flour, bit by bit - mixing well after each addition.
- Mix gently, pour mixture into greased 9 inch square pan.
- Peel and slice apples.
- Place slices on top of the mixture. (Place apple slices as close as possible to each other).
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle this topping over the apples.
- Bake for about 60 minutes in a 180C/350F oven, until well risen and golden.
- This delicious apple cake can be served warm or cold with cream or creme fraiche.
- It keeps and freezes very well - separate the slices with greaseproof paper for freezing.