Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
Trying to reproduce the Norwegian Almond Pretzels from Epcot at Disney World in the Norwegian exibit. They have a Norwegian Almond Pretzel that they serve at their Norway bakery called, Kringla. They are famous in Epcot. This comes close. Not overly sweet, just soft and delicious. This is European comfort food! You have to let these double in size twice, so plan accordingly. From Soap Mom's Kitchen and allears.net, which claims to have the original recipe from Epcot. I have blended the two recipes.
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 -4 cups flour (You want a soft dough, not sticky and not firm, just right!)
- 3 ounces raisins (optional)
- 2 cups water, with 1/4 baking soda added
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- water (start with 1 Tbls. and more until you achieve a smooth consistency but not to thin)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir yeast into warm water and dissolve, add sugar. Wait five minutes to activate yeast. Add eggs and beat in with a whisk. Add first cup of flour with 1/2 tsp.of salt and cardamom, if using. Add remaing cups beat with dough hook on a stand up mixer, or if doing by hand, knead to form a soft dough. Add in raisins if using right at the end of kneading. Grease another bowl, add dough and cover with a tea towel until double in size. Divide dough evenly into 7 balls. Roll out into long strings and form a pretzel knot. Dip into soda water solution and place 4 pretzels onto 1 cookie sheet that has been sprayed with oil. Place the other 3 onto another cookie sheet. Let double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 12 minutes until slightly golden. Cool and brush with glaze and drizzle with sliced almonds. Sprinkle the finished pretzel with powdered sugar.